This nature-packed tour of New Zealand’s scenic South Island has now been refreshed to provide even more of a wild and epic adventure!
From whale watching and cruising the fjords of Milford Sound, to an exclusive stay on Stewart Island in search of the elusive Kiwi bird, tour operator Natural Habitat Adventures has now re-designed its popular small-group tour, New Zealand Nature Explorer, to include even more of New Zealand’s legendary landscapes, unique wildlife and hospitable people.
[gdl_gallery title=”NZ” width=”120″ height=”110″ ]
The two-week tour takes in notable highlights – including the fjordlands, Southern Alps, Lake Wanaka, Kaikoura, Otago Peninsula – but also delves further into New Zealand’s remote corners: take a guided night walk in search of the Kiwi and other rare wildlife on Stewart Island; and explore the beaches of the isolated Ulva Island to spot endangered birds such as the yellow-eyed penguin.
You’ll also find out more about what makes New Zealand special by joining a sheep farming family in the Canterbury Plains, and meeting a Maori family at their home in Kaikoura to hear first-hand about Maori traditions, customs and contemporary lifestyles. The trip is rounded off with a distinct Scottish flavour in the southern city of Dunedin.
On the tour you’ll be guided by expert naturalists and led by a New Zealand native who really knows the hidden corners and where to find the true NZ.
No hotel chains here! Throughout the tour, guests stay at a range of the best lodgings from simple to luxurious, including a family-run lodge in a forest clearing and a boutique hotel in Christchurch, to a luxury retreat with spectacular views across Lake Wanaka.
Recommended for… Travellers who love wildlife (particularly those interested in rare birds), and spectacular landscapes
Be aware that… It’s a rapid and packed two-week itinerary so you may want to extend your visit to spend more time in favourite places at a more leisurely pace!
- All tours are restricted in number (no more than 12) to ensure small groups with minimum disruption
- Long term experience in the country ensures that NHA has strong connections with local communities, leading to authentic meetings that benefit both travellers and the local people
- All guides are wildlife experts with a passion and respect for local people and the local environment
- NHA is the world’s first carbon neutral travel company and your trip will be 100% carbon off-set
- NHA is WWF’s (World Wildlife Fund) travel partner