Responsible tour company Urban Adventures has expanded its programme of ‘Home Cooked’ tour destinations following the success of their Home Cooked Delhi and Home Cooked Istanbul tours. The tours, which allow travellers to join local families for home-cooked meals, now include Bucharest, Kochi, Samarkand, San Jose and Kastoria.
On each tour (lasting around three or four hours), guests are invited to shop for ingredients in the local markets, join a family in their home, see how traditional and favourite dishes are created, and gain some new cooking tips (and perhaps lend a hand!), before sitting down to share a delicious meal. It’s a great way to connect with a country and its culture, and make new friends over the bonding experience of sharing a home-cooked meal.
The full list of Urban Adventures’ ‘Home Cooked’ tours (please note: prices are approximate according to the exchange rate at time of publication):
Home Cooked Delhi – £29
Home Cooked Istanbul – £20
Home Cooked Bucharest – £25
Home Cooked Kochi – £29
Home Cooked Bucharest – £15
Home Cooked San Jose – £31
Home Cooked Kastoria – £15
For booking, latest prices and more information visit www.urbanadventures.com
Urban Adventures is also looking for more ‘Home Cooked’ hosts from around the world. If you have met someone on your travels who you think would be a perfect host, they can apply by sending a photo of their family enjoying a home-cooked meal to Instagram using the hashtag #UAhomecooked, or by emailing the photo to email@example.com.
- Urban Adventures uses local guides to reveal unseen sights and attractions off the beaten track
- It supports local businesses to ensure the majority of income remains in the local community
- It uses local public transport on its tours
- Tour group sizes are kept small to minimise the impact on the local environment and community
- Urban Adventures works with a network of global partners who run tours in accordance with the Responsible Travel Code of Conduct